Date: 8/21/19 1:10 pm
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Perkins Park, Joppa Park, Plum Island - 08-21-2019
Dave Williams and I led today's Wednesday Morning Birding program out of
Joppa Flats Education Center first to Perkins Park in Newburyport, then
to the boat ramp at Joppa Park, and finally on to Plum Island. Skies
were overcast with occasional breaks of sun; temps in upper 70s to 80
with significant humidity; the air was calm.

Our list:

Perkins Park --
Black-crowned Night-Heron (4) - 1 ad, 3 imm.
Belted Kingfisher (1) - male.
Downy Woodpecker (1)
Carolina Wren (1)
American Goldfinch (2)

Joppa Park --
Great Egret (2)
Turkey Vulture (3)
Osprey (1)
Black-bellied Plover (~ 75)
Semipalmated Plover (~ 15)
Greater Yellowlegs (~ 40)
Semipalmated Sandpiper - common.
Short-billed Dowitcher (~ 20)
Bonaparte's Gull (~ 25)
Ring-billed Gull - many.
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull (7)
Common Tern (~ 20)
Forster's  Tern (1)
Rock Pigeon

Plum Island --
Canada Goose (~ 15) - Bill Forward Pool (BFP).
Gadwall (4) - hen & 3 imm.; BFP.
Mallard (~ 30) - BFP.
Green-winged Teal (~ 20) - BFP.
Double-crested Cormorant (3) - 1, BFP; 2, North Pool from Hellcat dike.
Great Blue Heron (1) - BFP.
Great Egret (5) - various.
Black-bellied Plover (~ 75) - 2 flocks flying into & out of BFP (with
tide coming, Black-bellieds from river flats??).
Semipalmated Plover (1) - BFP.
Spotted Sandpiper (1) - North Pool from Hellcat dike.
Greater Yellowlegs (~ 10) - North Pool from Hellcat dike.
Lesser Yellowlegs (5) - North Pool from Hellcat dike.
Least Sandpiper (1) - BFP.
White-rumped Sandpiper (1) - BFP.
Short-billed Dowitcher (~ 10) - BFP.
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove (1)
Eastern Kingbird (2)
Tree Swallow - common.
Gray Catbird (4) - various road crossing.
European Starling - many flocks.
Cedar Waxwing (~ 7) - BFP.
Song Sparrow (2)
Red-winged Blackbird (1) - Hellcat dike.
House Sparrow

We will meet again next week back at Joppa Flats at 0930 for Wednesday
Morning Birding. For more information about Joppa Flats programs, call
David Moon or Dave Larson at 978-462-9998.

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944
<cygnus-dkw...>

Join us on Facebook!