Date: 8/21/19 11:00 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose Beach Wed 8-21-19
Hello Bird People,

Arrived at Montrose Beach at about 6 a.m. to find that Ted W, Fran M &
Amanda T were already there but had seen little. One Piping Plover was
way out on the pier as seen with a scope but no details could be seen.
Fran said 1 Semipalmated Sandpiper flew in & quickly back out again.
We found 5 Killdeer in the vegetation near where the Piping Plovers
nested. Walked out to the pier with Amanda, Fran & Jim J & verified
that the Piping Plover was a young one but saw nothing else. Of course
yesterday's Ruddy Turnstone was a no show as that's the bird I really
wanted to see.

But being somewhat stubborn & not wanting to fight the bad traffic I
stuck it out & kept checking the beach. Only found 1 Least Sandpiper
that soon left & later a small peep flew around but did not land.

By 8:55 a.m. I went back to the pier & was surprised to see 2 Piping
Plovers & a Least Sandpiper were now on the end of the pier. But a
lady jogger flushed 1 Plover & the Least & I was left with just the
original young Piping Plover. Never saw the 2nd one very well.

Back to the plastic boardwalk where I stayed with Rich D & later Joe
L. First in flew 9 FORSTER'S TERNS which landed on the beach. Seemed
to be 2 young ones (black face only) & 7 adults without full black
heads but some black on the back of the heads. Then Rich & I noticed
that 2
GREATER YELLOWLEGS (a good bird for Montrose) were on the flooded part
of the beach.
Next 1 Semipalmated Sandpiper landed right in front of us & later 2
more were also seen.

Three Great Blue Heron were chasing each other in the Dunes & Rich
counted 109 Ring Billed Gulls & 3 Herring Gulls on the beach. The only
Swallows seen were Barn & 2 Purple Martins flew by.

Later I rec'd an enail from Tamima who saw the 2nd Plover better &
longer than I did & she said Plover #2 was NOT the 2nd young one but
was the adult male, Monty. I'd have guessed it was the 2nd young one
as I though Monty was long gone. Don't make assumptions I guess.

Bird-Of-The-Day to all those Forster's Terns & Runner-Up to the 2
Piping Plovers.

Al Stokie
On the Chicago lakefront today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>