Date: 8/20/19 10:34 am
From: William Mueller <wpmueller1947...>
Subject: [wisb] some Observatory news
birds paper is still being accessed and read (with requests to send to new
colleagues in this discipline), both via ResearchGate and via the WBCI
website:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/279199602_The_Effects_of_Pesticides_on_Birds_Online_httpwwwwisconsinbirdsorgeffectspesticideshtm
Read the full paper at:
http://www.wisconsinbirds.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/effectspesticides-1.pdf

B) Our recent paper *on waterbird hotspots* has garnered increased notice
by researchers in multiple geographic areas:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/333027387_A_comparative_analysis_of_common_methods_to_identify_waterbird_hotspots

C) Nighthawk observations in autumn migration begin now. Although they may
pass over your position almost anywhere, if you are near the lakeshore or a
coastline (for example, at our hawkwatch platform), you may see larger
numbers on some evenings. Start watching about an hour to 90 minutes before
sunset.
Here's an example from such an evening, in August of 2013:
https://ebird.org/wi/view/checklist/S15023613

If you've never seen it: https://youtu.be/EjhKfM1FHEM

A noteworthy phenomenon sometimes paired with these late August dates is a
strong movement of Cedar Waxwings (often an early fall migrant).

William P. Mueller

Director, Western Great Lakes Bird and Bat Observatory, Inc.

Observatory online: https://wglbbo.org

Midwest Migration Network (MMN) Leadership Team

MMN online: https://midwestmigrationnetwork.org

<wpmueller1947...> <wmueller...>

414-698-9108

Port Washington, WI