Date: 8/20/19 9:14 am
From: Veer Frost <0000038039fb4cf6-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] identifying mystery duck
Thank you so much, Veer

On 8/20/2019 at 11:51 AM, "Maeve Kim" wrote:Here’s what eBird says:
When in doubt use 'Immature' for any bird that is not an adult.
'Juvenile' is more specific, describing a bird still in its juvenile
plumage. This plumage is held only briefly for many songbirds (just a
few weeks after leaving the nest) or up to a year for some larger
birds like hawks. Once a bird has molted out of this plumage it is no
longer a juvenile. If you can't determine this, but know that the bird
isn't an adult, just use 'Immature’.

Maeve Kim, Jericho Center

> On Aug 20, 2019, at 11:38 AM, Veer Frost wrote:
>
> Apropos of nothing but my own confusion, is there an eBird ie
> scientific definition of the difference between Juvenile and
Immature?
> I suspect I use the terms wrongly when reporting, and on Maeve's
> report these handsome Goldeneye kids are reported as 'immature'. Is
> that because they now feed themselves? (which Juveniles don't?!) ...
> thank you for any advice!Veer Frost, Passumpsic
>
> On 8/20/2019 at 6:07 AM, "Maeve Kim" wrote:We were stumped by five
> similar-sounding ducks last week: brown or red-brown heads, tail
> sometimes held stiffly, white patches on wing, white on throat or
> breast. With a little help from a friend and two guide book, we
> decided they were immature goldeneye. There are some poor photos at
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58918335
> Maeve Kim, Jericho Center

Join us on Facebook!