Date: 8/20/19 3:07 am
From: Maeve Kim <maevulus...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] identifying mystery duck
We were stumped by five similar-sounding ducks last week: brown or red-brown heads, tail sometimes held stiffly, white patches on wing, white on throat or breast. With a little help from a friend and two guide book, we decided they were immature goldeneye. There are some poor photos at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58918335 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58918335>
Maeve Kim, Jericho Center

> On Aug 19, 2019, at 10:04 PM, R Stewart <2cnewbirds...> wrote:
>
> *Need Help again* identifying a duck. Took some not so great digiscope
> pictures which tend to show more contrasting color than bino or scope view.
>
> Deming Pond, S. Village E. Dorset, Bennington, Vermont, US
> Aug 18, 2019 5:00 PM - 5:20 PM
> Protocol: Stationary
> Comments: At edge of pond with scope. Need help identifying duck
> 5 species
>
> Mallard 2 Note blue speculum
> Ruddy Duck 1 When I first saw this duck through binos, it was with 2
> larger ducks and was diving constantly. Of note was the stiff, long tail
> seen when bird dove. Plumage was brown with what appeared to be a whitish
> throat and belly. Five min later I was viewing it through my scope. Bird
> was grooming, preening, stretching and flapping wings. There seemed to be
> some white on wing primaries seen when preening. There was some prominent
> flash of white in the area of the 'wing pit' - 020 jpg. altho. the
> underside of the wing was dark.
> Double-crested Cormorant 2
> Purple Finch 1 seen at nearby feeder
> American Goldfinch 1