Date: 8/19/19 8:54 pm
From: Jim Berry <jim.berry3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Crane Beach, Ipswich, Aug 19, 2019
Thanks to Lisa Manzi's great photography, I am able to present an
illustrated list this time.

Jim Berry Ipswich, Mass. <jim.berry3...>

Crane Beach, Ipswich
Aug 19, 2019 7:50 AM - 11:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments: Lisa Manzi and I birded the beach, walking about a mile
and a half down, but did not walk a straight line because the tide was
low and we could go well out onto the sandbars. Highlights were a
Forster's tern and 2 lesser black-backed gulls, an adult and a
sub-adult. Tree swallows were abundant, but for some reason shorebirds
were almost absent. This was probably my least shorebird-filled walk
here ever in August. Perhaps there were more down at the tip of the
beach, but we didn't want to walk any farther in the heat and humidity.
21 species (+1 other taxon)

Semipalmated Plover 0 incredible
Piping Plover 17 all juvs, full grown
Ruddy Turnstone 1 juv
Sanderling 3 incredibly low for the date
Semipalmated Sandpiper 37 incredibly low for the date
Bonaparte's Gull 3 1 juv, 2 adults (though one could have been
sub-adult); first juv I've seen this year
Laughing Gull 42 40 juvs, 2 adults--some of them were practicing
their jaeger moves on the many terns
Ring-billed Gull 40
Herring Gull 400
Lesser Black-backed Gull 2 Together with other large gulls, and
both slightly smaller than herring gulls. Great views; Lisa took
photos. One adult and one sub-adult. Both had entirely yellow legs.
Great Black-backed Gull 45
Least Tern 7 Most have apparently finished nesting and begun their
movement south. A few were still feeding young.
Common Tern 250 We neither saw nor heard any roseates, arctics, or
blacks despite much searching.
Forster's Tern 1 Nice closeups. Lisa took photos.
Sterna sp. 450 These were out on sandbars off the end of PI and
were too far out to ID. Overwhelmingly likely that most were commons.
Double-crested Cormorant 35
Turkey Vulture 1
Cooper's Hawk 1 Immature, buzzing the least terns and being buzzed
in return by the terns and tree swallows.
Northern Flicker 1 not seen
Tree Swallow 3500
Barn Swallow 7
House Finch 2