Date: 8/19/19 9:08 am
From: Shilo McDonald <shilocm...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Osprey Nest, Salem, 8/17/19
Hello my friends,This past weekend, for the first time as a birder, I walked Forest River Park in Salem, Mass. Mind you, I grew up in Salem. And as a kid, many summers were spent exploring, swimming and adventuring at Forest River Park.
Happy to say that after all these years, I'm still finding new treasures there: A small flock of Laughing Gulls. Two Black-crowned Night-Herons. FIVE Osprey (a nest with three Juveniles!). And nineteen Semipalmated Plovers. :-)
eBird Report with some fun Photos:https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59104515

Text only report included below my signature.
Happy Birding!Shilo McDonald, Lynn, MAShiloCM at Yahoo dot com
"It is utterly false and cruelly arbitrary to put all the play and learning into childhood, all the work into middle age, and all the regrets into old age." - Margaret Mead

--------------------------------------Forest River Park, Essex, Massachusetts, US
Aug 17, 2019 3:20 PM - 6:10 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments:    Our first time birding Forest River Park. Michelle found her newest favorite bird, Black-crowned Night-Heron. We got great views of a real beaut. And we both marveled at the discovery of an active Osprey nest. As a child growing up in Salem, whole summers were spent here. It felt good to be home.
31 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose  3    Flying by.
Mallard  28    Most of these were seen in the Pioneer Village Pond.
Common Eider  12    Seen swimming together in small groups.
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)  12
Mourning Dove  5
Chimney Swift  10
Semipalmated Plover  19    Seen foraging along the recently exposed mud.
Laughing Gull  25    Small flock of adults and juveniles.
Ring-billed Gull  22
Herring Gull  50    When I think of seagull, I think of Herring Gull.
gull sp.  25
Common Tern  1    Flying by.
Double-crested Cormorant  8
Great Egret  1    First seen resting in a tree. Then seen hunting at the beach.
Black-crowned Night-Heron  2    Found two adults in the trees located between the parking lot and Pioneer Village.
Osprey  5    Active nest found with 2 Adults and 3 Juveniles.
Downy Woodpecker  1    Heard only. Pips and whinny.
Blue Jay  5
American Crow  3
Black-capped Chickadee  2
Tufted Titmouse  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
House Wren  1    Heard only.
European Starling  15
Gray Catbird  1
American Robin  5
Cedar Waxwing  4    Heard only.
American Goldfinch  3    Never to be confused with canaries.
Song Sparrow  2
Common Grackle  2
Common Yellowthroat  1    Heard only.
Northern Cardinal  2