Date: 8/19/19 4:19 am
From: Catherine Carroll <songsparrow...>
Subject: Re: [birders] Barn Owl calling?
Hi Bill,

This is intriguing.  I think most would say that Barn owls have been extirpated from Michigan for many years.  However, some years ago a Barn owl sighting at Tawas State Park created a stir and was seen by several birders.  Your description of a hoarse, somewhat hair-raising shriek sounds good and the description of your location is also interesting.  Juvenile Great-Horned owls let out a squeal/?shriek vocalization and the likelihood of their presence in Lapeer County would seem common.  Since the calling is coming from your driveway it would not seem too onerous to get out to try to see the bird.  This would answer your question.

Cathy Carroll

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<1458917108.747022.1566187363906...>

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org