Date: 8/14/19 7:32 pm
From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen...>
Subject: [obol] Wed morning, Eugene
The absence of House Wrens on the low trail of Wild Iris Ridge was conspicuous. House Wrens were nesting in abundance along this woody trail on a Wednesday in mid-June, which was a pleasant surprise to us then. Where did they go, with their families? We can be sure their presence will be noticed, wherever they are. What was eventful this time on the trail was the activity of Acorn Woodpeckers. They were difficult to count, flying to and fro in varying numbers.. we agreed there were at least 12, which is more than we have encountered here on previous visits.
36 species

California Quail 2
Mourning Dove 2
Vaux’s Swift 1
Anna’s Hummingbird there were many, mostly attracted to the activity of other birds - being curious and bossy
Rufous Hummingbird 2
Turkey Vulture 5
Osprey 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1 seen darting into a small flock of goldfinches
Cooper’s Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Acorn Woodpecker 12
Downy Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker 4
American Kestrel 1 male
Western Wood-Pewee common
Steller’s Jay 2
California Scrub-Jay 6
American Crow few
Common Raven 1
Black-capped Chickadee 10
Bushtit 1 group
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
White-breasted Nuthatch 3
Bewick’s Wren 2
Western Bluebird 3
American Robin 2
European Starling few
Cedar Waxwing 6
House Finch 8
Lesser Goldfinch 10
American Goldfinch 15
Spotted Towhee 4
Song Sparrow 3
Common Yellowthroat a family of them
Western Tanager 1
Black-headed Grosbeak 2 heard

Dennis Arendt, Randy Sinnott, Judy Franzen, Scott McNeeley, Ellen Cantor, Jim Regali, Tom Cable, Kit Larsen, Sue Hutchinson, Jim Mitchell, Chuck Thomas and Larry McQueen

Join us on Facebook!