Date: 8/14/19 6:16 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Curry Townsend’s Warbler 8/14/19
Seems about a week or two earlier than normal- I think the Coos earliest
date is later but I will check when I get back to Coos end of week.

Have been working in the mts east of Brookings near Morton Butte, up about
1,400’ in forest with Doug-fir overstory with tan oak and madrone in
understory. The evergreen huck and rhodie varies from nonexistence to so
thick hard to move.

No bins while working but did have a couple big flocks I pished in within a
few feet of me. Lots of CB Chicks, RB Nuthatches and Hutton’s Vireos and a
few PS Flys- in my face both times. Also Wilson’s Warbles, BT Gray Warblers
and two different female TOWNSEND’S WARBLERS. I think the earliest fall
Coos record is later than this which means it should be earlier! But who
gets up in the Coast Range/Siskiyous to check mixed flocks in mid-August?

Also really weird I heard a distant Hermit Warbler singing in the PM-
haven’t heard any in weeks! Birds a moving- had nighthawks calling overhead
at 11:30. They usually get real vocal this time of year in the Coast Range
mid-day but then totally disappear (or are not heard by me) by the third
week of Aug.

Happy late summer birding!
Tim Rodenkirk
Coos Bay