Date: 8/13/19 5:32 pm
From: Chuck & Jaye Otte <otte2...>
Subject: Swallow-tailed Kite still present, Geary County
5:38 p.m. - Having just gotten home I put a pound of ground beef in the
skillet to start browning for taco Tuesday.

5:39 p.m. - Phone buzzes with a text from Jeff Keating. Swallow-tailed Kite
soaring over his house.

5:40 p.m. - Throw the skillet and ground beef in the fridge and head out the
door.

5:50 p.m. - Pull into Jeff's driveway and get out with binoculars in hand. Jeff
explains that it showed up at 5:35, right on schedule with previous evening
sightings. He said it was quite high! We all stand around and spend time
looking at any speck moving in the sky. Plenty of Mississippi Kites and
Turkey Vultures. Mississippi Kite numbers start increasing.

Somewhere around 6 p.m. I see a speck high in the air and get my
binoculars on it. Distinctive black and white pattern and a strong forked tail!
We all get on it within a minute and spend the next ten minutes watching it -
generally fairly high but it made a couple of stoops that brought it down
closer. Always a beautiful bird.

6:10 p.m. - High fives all around and we head back home to resume taco
Tuesday meal prep. 305th Geary County species on the books!

If you want to try for this bird, I'd be in Jeff's driveway by 5:30 p.m. and spend
time looking at any speck high in the sky!!!

Thank you Josh (Jeff's son who first saw the bird last Wednesday) and Jeff
who kept texting me whenever it showed up. It took three attempts but we
finally got it!

Chuck

For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to
mailto:<ksbird-l-request...>