Date: 8/13/19 4:04 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Odds & Ends (Marbled Godwit, Western Sandpiper, Forster's Terns, probable Royal Tern, etc.)
I birded the Hampton area for most of the afternoon with a trip up to
Newmarket to check on the kites.  A few observations of note:

MARBLED GODWIT - Continues in Hampton harbor.  Again, far out in central
part of harbor flats.  Perhaps the best spot to look for the bird would
be with a spotting scope from the Hampton State Marina parking lot.  If
you ask at the entrance, the parking attendant may let you bird for 10
or 15 minutes without charging you.

FORSTER'S TERN - Two juveniles on Hampton flats with huge flock of
roughly 250 to 300 Common Terns.  By far, my highest number of terns
I've had in the harbor this summer.

WESTERN SANDPIPER - One early juvenile in Hampton salt marshes.  My 3rd
earliest fall record.

SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER (hendersoni race) - 1 brilliant looking bird from
the central Canada population continues in Hampton marshes. But sadly, I
could NOT relocate the Long-billed Dowitcher.  But Jeanne-Marie says she
had it so, perhaps it is still around.

ROYAL TERN - I'm almost positive I had a flyby Royal Tern heading south
along Rt. 1A in Hampton.  It flew right over my head, but I didn't get
on it until it passed by heading south, and all I saw was a large,
long-winged tern.  I broke a few traffic rules, and sped after it trying
to chase it and I almost photographed it through my wind shield while
driving!  But it veered to the west side of Rt. 1A and just
disappeared!  Just not a good enough view to say for sure with a bird of
this rarity!  Grrrrrr!

and in Newmarket:
---------------------------

MISSISSIPPI KITE - 2 adults flying over nest area.  I haven't seen the
chick since last Thursday when it had fallen to the ground in a
driveway.  The property owner called NH Audubon, but by the time I got
there, the chick had flown up into a tree about 6' to 8' up on a
branch.  From there, it was seen being fed.  I am hopeful/optimistic
that the young bird is still alive...based on the adult activity near
the nest site.

A few photos from today and recent birding and insect adventures!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/

Steve Mirick
Bradford, MA