Date: 8/13/19 2:32 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Survival Lessons For Montrose's Young Piping Plovers & Chicago Botanic Garden Tue 8-13-19
Hello Bird People,

Today was the last day for the official monitoring of the Piping
Plovers at Montrose although I am sure that unofficially every birder
there will continue watching over the Plovers. I arrived at 6 a.m. &
already Piping Plover Guardian Tamima I & Tuesday Monitor Michael F
were on duty along with another 5 or 6 birders. But there was another
visitor which wasn't a welcome one. A Peregrine landed in the tall
tower near the beach house & later moved to it's usual spot in the
tower on the fisherman's pier. The 2 young Piping Plovers did what
they were supposed to do by standing motionless on the sand & crouched
low. In the cloudy conditions they were almost impossible to see & I
had to have them pointed out to me by others even though I was fairly
close. Of course a Peregrine can see much better than I can. All the
birders stayed close to the young Plovers to try & make sure the
Peregrine stayed away & eventually the Peregrine flew off. So maybe it
was a "lesson learned"or just instinct but the young Plovers seemed to
pass their 1st test with a major predator. The young Piping Plovers
then spent most of their time on the "protected beach" where they
could hide in the dunes more easily. Monty was also present but not
close to the young ones so all 3 are doing fine. Size wise all are the
same size & the only way you can tell the adult from the young is the
dark breast band on the adult. .

Montrose Beach (6-8 a.m.)

D,C. Cormorant (a few fly-bys)
Black Crowned Night Heron (3 young ones flew across the beach on their
way to the trees)
Canada Goose (~160 early on) & Mallard (5)
PEREGRINE (1)
Semipalmated Plover (5)
PIPING PLOVER (1-AD & 2 Young)
Killdeer (12 in the beach vegetation)
Sanderling (only 1 & soon gone)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (2 but not together)
Least Sandpiper (1 picked out by Andrew A.)
Ring Billed (75) & Herring (4) Gulls
Caspian Tern (4)
Chimney Swift (5)
Purple Martin, Bank & Barn Swallows

Next to the Chicago Botanic Garden where I had been rained out on Sunday.

As I walked up to the mud flat area a beautiful adult OSPREY was
circling over the ponds.
Herons were Great Blue Heron (1) & Green Heron (1)
Canada Goose (15) & Mallard (6)
Wood Duck (1)
Shorebirds were Killdeer (12 & 2 more on the lawns) & Lesser Yellowlegs (2)
Also Solitary (3) & Least (7) Sandpipers
Caspian Tern (3)
Barn Swallow (8)
Only common land birds were on the way to the flats.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the flying Osprey which I did not expect to see &
Runners-Up to the continuing star power Piping Plovers & the Peregrine
which fortunately
has been uncommon at Montrose so far. May it continue to be uncommon!

Al Stokie
In Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: