Date: 8/13/19 2:39 pm
From: Araks O <araks.ohanyan...>
Subject: Update on banded PIPL
Hello all,

Last month, I reported seeing a banded piping plover at Lake Dardanelle. I
wrote to the appropriate USGS contact, and received this response today:

"Thank you for your report and the photo!
6J9 was banded as a chick in 2015 on the Missouri River near Bismarck, ND.
This summer 6J9 was observed nesting on the Missouri River near Washburn,
ND. This was our first observation of 6J9 on the breeding grounds since
2015!
I also received another report of 6J9, it was observed at Bolivar
Peninsula, TX last week."

This is a great example of why banding is such a critical component of
avian research. It has the potential to provide data on so many facets of a
bird's ecology, and I'm glad I was able to share in this little bird's
journey, if only for a brief moment.

Happy birding!
Roxy
Russellville