Date: 8/13/19 2:09 pm
From: David Suddjian <dsuddjian...>
Subject: [cobirds] shorebird habitat observations - Southeast Colorado
Two recent visits to SE Colorado (Otero, Bent, Kiowa, Crowley counties)
found shorebird habitat to be very limited. All of the reservoirs I looked
at were quite full (or dry in the case of Lower Queens). Of course, I did
not go everywhere. John Martin was less full but habitat conditions not so
interesting. No water around Van's Marsh. Last summer was much more
shorebird friendly down there.

The only places we found shorebirds were these:

1. A flooded fallow ag field along the north side of Hwy 194 northeast of
La Junta in Otero had good habitat on 8/5, with 12 species of shorebirds
and nearly 160 individuals, including a Mountain Plover.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58765555
But by 8/12 it had dried considerably and few shorebirds remained. Birding
this highway edge site requires caution.

2. At Ordway in Crowley the southeast corner of the Lake Meredith Feedlot
was flooded on 8/12, attracting a moderate number of shorebirds and lots of
activity. This is best viewed from near the south end of Lane 20. The
nearby "sewage pond" was full.

3. Just down the road, as viewed from the east end of CR G, the near shore
of Lake Meredith offered interesting shorebird and other waterbird habitat
on 8/12.

Several ponds and some flooded fields near Hwy 71 in Lincoln appeared to be
rain-filled but appeared bird free passing by at hwy speeds.

David Suddjian
Ken Caryl Valley
Littleton CO

Virus-free.