Date: 8/13/19 1:53 pm
From: Jane Stein <jeshawks...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Fwd: eBird Report - My yard birds - 324 Morse Hill Rd. E. Dorset, Aug 12, 2019
I agree with Bob that this is not a Goshawk, but differ on some of the
details.

The absence of a very contrasty broad white eyestripe definitely
eliminates Gos, as does the hint of orange feathering on the leg. There is
what appears to be a faint white eyestripe on your bird, which is
characteristic of Sharpie, but it also appears to have a very dark cap,
which would make the lighter feathering below stand out and look like an
eyestripe, but the dark cap is characteristic of a Coop.

Delving into accipiter eye color is not for the faint of heart because it
varies by age and even from bird to bird. First-year birds have a yellow
eye and older birds more orangey, but other than that, it's just not
consistent enough to draw conclusions from.

This is an adult accipiter given its basically solid and unmottled back,
but whether Coop or Sharpie is hard to tell, particularly given the absence
of anything to gauge its size by. My vote would be for Coop mainly because
of the bird's sturdy-looking legs, which we don't have enough of a view of
to be certain. Sharpies of any age have what we call "toothpick legs," and
the little bit of lower leg we can see in the pic sure doesn't look
toothpicky. The absence of a crest or crown, which is what I assume Bob
means by a "blocky head," doesn't necessarily mean this isn't a Coop.
Coops have a crest they can raise at the back of the head, but if they
don't raise it, you can't see it. So the crest, if visible, marks a bird
as a Coop for sure, but the absence of it in a single shot doesn't
eliminate the possibility.

Distinguishing Coops from Sharpies is tough, especially in a single
photograph!

Jane
(Shoreham)

On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 15:13:16 -0400, R Stewart <2cnewbirds...>
wrote:
> Need help IDing the hawk photo attached.
>

> My yard birds - 324 Morse Hill Rd. E. Dorset, Bennington, Vermont, US
> Aug 12, 2019 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM
> Protocol: Stationary
> Comments: Feeder observation throughout the day. Quick hawk visit
about
> 6:30.
> 12 species
>
> Mourning Dove 4
> Ruby-throated Hummingbird 2
> Northern Goshawk 1 A brief visit next to feeder. At least enough
time
> to get a picture and a fly away view. Only saw back . Long barred tail
as
> it flew away from my viewpoint. Need confirmation
> Northern Flicker 1
> Red-eyed Vireo 1
> Blue Jay 4
> Black-capped Chickadee 2
> House Wren 1
> American Robin 2
> American Goldfinch 4
> Red-winged Blackbird 8
> Northern Cardinal 2
>
> View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58967838
>
> This report was generated automatically by eBird v3
> (https://ebird.org/home)

Join us on Facebook!