Date: 8/13/19 12:25 pm
From: Joseph Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: Swainson's Hawk at Siloam Springs City Lake
A juvenile Swainson’s Hawk flew low over David Oakley and I this morning at Siloam Spring’s City Lake. We were looking at butterflies on Swamp Milkweed near the bird blind off Dawn Hill East Road. Just this -- a big flowering of Swamp Milkweed and butterflies -- would have made the trip worthwhile. But -- First there was a loud clatter from Red-headed Woodpeckers, who then chased the hawk over us. This is my first Swainson’s record since May 11, when Vivek Govind Kumar and I saw one just east of Maysville. I also saw a couple of Yellow Warblers slipping around in the Buttonbushes, with a great view from a walking/biking bridge built over Flint Creek and its floodplain on the lake’s upper end.

Join us on Facebook!