Date: 8/13/19 12:13 pm
From: Robert Guth <bobwgfsa...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Least Bittern, American Bittern, Common Gallinule at Noble County Mallard Roost WCA
On August 11 and 13, I visited Mallard Roost Wetland Conservation Area along Noble CR 600N and along 400W. I posted the bird lists to eBird, totaling 46 species in the two days. I arrived at 30 minutes prior to sunrise, to hear Swamp Sparrows and Marsh Wrens singing, and calls of Common Gallinules. I saw over 60 Wood Ducks fly north out of the roost, and after sunrise there was a river of Common Grackles and Red-winged Blackbirds totaling over 12,000. Common Gallinules could be seen along the river north of the bridge over 600N on the east side, and an immature Pied-billed Grebe was in the river as well. Before sunrise on one day, I counted 34 Green Herons flying from a roost south of the road, and on one day, I saw an American Bittern fly over the road. On the second day, because I had heard a Least Bittern on the first day, I watched more carefully and saw two Least Bitterns fly between the cattails across the river or the road. This is a good time to visit to see these species. Coming before sunrise particularly helps one see good numbers of several of these species. The area is SE of Ligonier, Indiana. If you have a canoe, you can go up and down the river, as the area extends a mile north and south without trails. Who knows what one might find.
Bob Guth, Goshen

Join us on Facebook!