Date: 8/13/19 9:05 am
From: Kevin Murphy <kevin.murphy39...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Fall IOU Meeting in Pella -- Unique Field Trip
Looking forward to seeing many of you at the upcoming fall meeting! I
wanted to send out some information about a unique field trip I have been
coordinating to make everyone aware of it. We will be offering a boat based
field trip in the upper reaches of Lake Red Rock and/or Pinchey Bottoms to
allow birders much closer access to the vast expanses of
shorebird/waterbird habitat present (much of which is inaccessible or not
visible by any other means).

Transportation will be done from one of the nearby boat ramps via boats
with mud motors (if you aren't aware of what these are, think of them as
4WD for a boat) to get through much of the shallow areas. Because of this,
signup for this field trip will be capped relatively low (probably ~15
attendees, the number will be finalized after our final scouting run the
week before the meeting) and first come/first served as we won't have the
space or time to accommodate an unlimited number of attendees.

If you plan on signing up for this trip please be aware it will likely
involve a high degree of mobility (getting in and out of the boat multiple
times, probably in shallow or muddy conditions, walking through mucky/muddy
conditions on the islands present) and may be very hot with no shade or
respite from the sun so please plan accordingly. Much of this birding will
likely be scope-based and highly focused on looking through flocks of
shorebirds/gulls/pelicans (hopefully HEAPS AND PILES of shorebirds and
gulls and pelicans). If this sounds like your cup of tea then please
consider arriving right at the start of activities Friday and signing up!

Kevin Murphy, Ames