Date: 8/12/19 3:40 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Avocet At 83rd Street Fluddle & Stilt Sandpiper At Wood Dale Reservoir Monday 8-12-19
Hello Bird People,

We all check IBET & ebird & other places I know nothing about for a
sighting of a rare bird & then sometimes chase after that sighting. If
we are successful we are happy to have gone & seen it.
But much better than chasing is when you actually find the rare bird
yourself although that seldom happens. However, today I did find a
rare bird which was an AVOCET at the 83rd Street Fluddle at Green
Valley F.P. Since he lives near there I called Mike Madsen who I think
called some of the other folks from there. Now I see on ebird that
several others did get to see the Avocet so at least some folks got
the info. The only other time I found a rare bird by myself this year
was when I had the Whimbrel at Techny Basin & again others did get to
see it. Once in a while we all do something special so enjoy it when
it happens. Here are my day lists:

Wood Dale Reservoir Complex (6:55-9:15 a.m.)

The water is disappearing at the Western Wetlands section & most of
the shorebirds have moved to the actual reservoir along the northern
edge. I had 89 shorebirds at the reservoir & only 21 at the western
wetlands. Maybe the new rain coming in will help the habitat at the
western area.

Reservoir

D.C. Cormorant (1 & 1 fly-by)
Great Egret (3) (No Great Blue Herons here today)
Canada Goose (19 plus the one with only one foot that never hangs out
with the rest)
Mallard (7)
Semipalmated Plover (1) & Killdeer (37)
Lesser Yellowlegs (6)
Solitary (2), Spotted (10), Least (27), Semipalmated 3) & Pectoral (2)
Sandpipers
STILT SANDPIPER (1, not in breeding plumage but had the down curved
bill & the white eye line)
Turkey Vulture (1 in a tree resting)
Ring Billed Gull (12)
Caspian Tern (22)
Barn Swallow (~6)

Middle Pond

D.C. Cormorant (1), Great Blue Heron (2) & Great Egret (1)

Western (Itasca) Wetlands

D.C. Cormorant (1 fly-by)
Great Blue Heron (2) & Great Egret (3)
Mallard (4)
Killdeer (12), Spotted (5) & Least (4) Sandpipers
Kingfisher (1)
More Barn Swallows

Had 11 species of land birds but none were very interesting.

Greene Valley F.P./83rd Street Fluddle (10:20-10:45 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (1)
Great Blue Heron (1) & Great Egret (1)
Canada Goose (2) & Mallard (7)
Killdeer (31)
AMERICAN AVOCET (1, probably a young one)
Lesser Yellowlegs (1)
Solitary (1), Spotted (3), Least (4), Semipalmated (2) & Pectoral (6) Sandpipers
(Had a slight mosquito problem here but not too bad.)

Peacock Marsh/Will County (11:45 a.m.-12:10 p.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (1), Great Blue Heron (3) & Great Egret (27)
Mallard (~111)
Semipalmated Plover (1) & Killdeer (19)
Greater (at least 4) & Lesser (~6) Yellowlegs
Solitary (1), Spotted (2), Least (4) & Pectoral (2) Sandpipers
Red Wings (~10)
(Not easy to do these shorebird I.D.'s as the remaining water areas
are now far away
with the nearer areas being just drying mud.)

I had 9 species of shorebirds at the reservoir, 8 at the 83rd St
Fluddle & 8 at Peacock.
For the day I had 11 species of shorebirds altogether.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Avocet & Runner-Up to the Stilt Sandpiper.

Al Stokie
In DuPage County mostly with one stop in Will County

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: