Date: 8/12/19 1:36 pm
From: J D REIMERBERG, J REIMER-BERG <donjenrb...>
Subject: [obol] Sandpipers at Basket Slough WR this morning (Possible Curlew Sandpiper)
I slogged into Mofitti Marsh at Basket Slough this morning. I found a nice selection of sandpipers when I got there, even though I had seen only 2 of each: Great Blue Herons, Great Egrets and Coyotes from Morgan Lake. Once I was down to the marsh I saw Greater Yellowlegs along with a Lesser and several Dowitchers. Swimming near them was a Red-Necked Phalarope. In the mud with a few Lesser Yellowlegs was a Semipalmated Plover.

When I settled down to study the peeps. I quickly noticed that there were a couple of them wading further out in the water from the rest. I thought maybe they were Curlew Sandpipers. They seemed larger to me, but they were further out in the water than the others, so I wasn't sure. My reaction through the scope was that they were the longest billed Westerns that I remembered seeing. I took as many pictures as I could, but my cell phone through the scope technique isn't so great in the bright sunlight. I also picked out a Semipalmated sandpiper amongst the other peeps.

Could some of you peep experts have a look at my photos and put my mind to rest about them being Westerns and crash my dreams of finding a pair of Curlew Sandpipers.

https://ebird.org/pnw/view/checklist/S58944818

thanks,
Don Berg

Join us on Facebook!