Date: 8/12/19 6:20 am
From: robirdman <robirdman...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Piping Plover video, episode 8. 3rd chick appears
I made a mistake in discussing the contents of the previous video, as
Monty does not approach me in that one, but at the end of this one.

This is the same day as the previous 7/18, but 78 clips were too much
for one video, so I split into 3.

While watching the nest without a parent sitting, I saw an egg move.  I
was wondering if either of the other 2 chicks had pushed it, and so kept
watching carefully.  A little later I saw that there was a 3rd chick,
dark, unlike the other light ones.  I looked over to where the
volunteers and other observers were, and no one appeared be currently
looking that way or to notice. I told a man who had stopped by me and
suggested he notify that group and he did.

I subsequent saw the chick roll out of the nest and the parents had a
difficult decision for a while and went back and forth between covering
the new chick and the remaining egg.  The video also shows 2 slowed
sequences of removing egg shells from the nest. Shortly after that,
while I was alone, Monty approached much more closely.

This exclusive footage, as with all of mine, is excluded from a $5000
video, but may be viewed here for free.

https://youtu.be/HHy05lJZ3D4

Rob Curtis

Chicago