Date: 8/11/19 12:38 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET A Few Shorebirds At Techny North, Techny Basin & Air Station Prairie Sunday 8-11-19
Hello Bird People,

I tried to beat the early a.m. rain & got to Techny North before 7
a.m. but I had to hurry as light rain started by 7:30 a.m. Then the
rain stopped so next to Techny Basin but after about 15 min there it
started raining again & this time harder. Put my scope back in the car
& walked in the rain for another 30 min. Stopped raining again so my
last stop was at Air Station Prairie where the sun came out.

The big news at Techny North is that they have finally mowed the path
so now we don't have to fight head high vegetation that included that
scratchy Teasel plant. Had 65 shorebirds but nothing special. Fewer
shorebirds at Techny Basin (only 2 species) as the water is still too
high but many Herons/Egrets were there. The opposite is true at Air
Station Prairie where the east pond is dried up & the west side pond
only has a little water. Here are my lists:

Techny North (6:55-7:30 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (3), Green Heron (1) & Black Crowned Night Heron (3-AD)
Canada Goose (3). Wood Duck (18) & Mallard (17)
Red Tailed Hawk (1)
Killdeer (19) & Semipalmated Plover (only 1)
Lesser Yellowlegs (4)
Solitary (5), Spotted (7), Semipalmated (1) & Least (28) Sandpipers
Ring Billed Gull (1 fly-by)
Caspian Tern (3 fly-bys)
Chimney Swift (12)
Barn Swallow (10, didn't look hard for other Swallows)
Song Sparrow, Red Wings & Goldfinch

Techny Basin (7:40-8:45 a.m. partly in the rain)

Great Blue Heron (9), Great Egret (8), Green Heron (2) & Black Crowned
Night Heron (2)
Mallard (46)
Killdeer (1 & 5 fly-bys) & Spotted Sandpiper (2)
Ring Billed Gull (2 fly-bys) & Caspian Tern (2 fly-bys)
Mourning Dove (2)
Kingfisher (2)
Cliff (1) & Barn (12) Swallows
B.G. Gnatcatchers (2), Robins, Song Sparrows, Red Wings, House Finch
(1) & Goldfinch (8)
On & beneath the light poles across the street at the mall were 2 Canada Geese,
39 Ring Billed Gulls, 2 Caspian Terns & 14 Pigeons.

Air Station Prairie (9-9:55 a.m.)

West Pond

Great Blue Heron (1)
Mallard (1-F with one small young, 1-F with 2 small young & 1-F with 5
larger young)
VIRGINIA RAIL (1-AD with 2 tiny young & 3 "teenagers" which are still
fairly dark)
(Again I found no Sora Rails)
Killdeer (1) & Lesser Yellowlegs (4)
Solitary (5), Spotted (1) & Least (5) Sandpipers
Barn Swallow (2)
Land birds were Song Sparrow, Red Wings, 1 Grackle & Goldfinch
(To show how things can change as I was leaving the 4 Lesser Yellowlegs
& 4 more Least Sandpipers flew in so 5 more min & I would not have seen them.)

Bird-Of-The-Day to the adult Virginia Rail with the 2 tiny babies &
Runners-Up to the the Black Crowned Night Herons & the 2 Kingfishers.

Al Stokie
Making the best of it in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: