Date: 8/11/19 8:36 am
From: Tom Schilke <tom.schilke...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Hartman Reserve - Olive-sided Flycatcher
This morning, in preparation for our afternoon Audubon talk and walk on Birds of Hartman/Bird Friendly Iowa, I walked the trails around Hartman Reserve in Waterloo for an hour. Pretty quiet except for the usuals, including a Carolina Wren, family of Indigo Bunting, etc. . Then while standing by the feeders an Olive Sided Flycatcher started singing down below. Clear as day - Quick, three beers - over and over again. I thought I was hearing things as I rarely hear them in Iowa. The early date for one is Aug. 2 and soon migration will pick up as will better chances of seeing this bird and others. Maybe we will actually see it this afternoon.

Tom Schilke - Waterloo