Date: 8/10/19 7:44 pm
From: Pat Durkin <pat.durkin...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose Piping plover Watcher (No Sightings)
From the first call for Piping Plover Watchers, I knew this is where I needed to be. I booked a shift for Tuesday early afternoon. I have been with Monty and Rose before their first nesting site was washed out.

We and the Plovers have been through a lot. The birding clubs in Chicago and the National Audubon have been through a lot. The USFWS and IDNR have been through a lot. The editorial boards of the Chicago Tribune and the SunTimes have been through a lot. And there are so many more individuals and small groups have been through a lot.

Why? Why all the days of careful watching over a family of Piping Plovers? Why have we as humans, cleared the decks so that the small family of an endangered species be given a slim chance to survive and carry on? Why would a die hard South Sider risk nose bleeds to venture across Madison Avenue every week to be in the company of a family of Piping Plovers, hoping to intervene at just the right moment, to escape a danger?

Why? Because if their survival is not important to us, then nothing is important.

During my weekly shift I have met so many wonderful people, bonded together to enhance the survival of an endangered, beautiful, enchanting pair of lovers who instinctively gave all that they have to continue their species into a next generation. Humans felt a kinship with the instinct to persevere, survive and thrive. We root for those that face enormous and outnumbered challenges and extend a helping hand.

As my Piping Plover Watcher duties near an end I want to express my sincere gratitude to all the North Siders and government officials, the Chicago Police, and to all the locals who strolled by our watch site and shared a view of Monty or Rose and the chicks through my scope and experienced that moment of realization and awe; that moment when an AAH! WOW! was knocked out of them; the realization that there is something beyond our small scope of the world that is so vastly amazing; so vastly important and momentous, beyond our own existence, that we must protect for the next generation, ours and these other amazing species that only know Earth as their home.

Thank you, thank you, thank you one and all.

Pat ( Patricia) Durkin
Chicago
Chicago Audubon Representative
Jackson Park Wooded Island Bird Walks