Date: 8/10/19 4:17 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan & Illinois Beach South & North Units Saturday 8-10-19
Hello Bird People,

Well today was truly a big migration day but unfortunately not for
birds. At Waukegan there were
100's & at Illinois Beach South there were at least 2000 migrating
Green Darner Dragonflies heading south group after group after group.
Other Dragonflies seen were Black & Red Saddlebags, 12 Spotted
Skimmer, one of the Red Meadowhawks, Common Whitetail, Widow Skimmer,
Eastern Pondhawk & 1 Wandering Glider. Quite a day for Dragonflies!
Also of note was one Question Mark butterfly & 1 Viceroy.

Wish I could say the same for shorebirds but all we saw today were
Spotted & Semipalmated Sandpipers on the pier at Waukegan & 1 each
Killdeer at Illinois Beach South & on the lawns at Waukegan.

As usual we had Least Bitterns (1 male & 1 female) at Waukegan where
we also saw 1 young
Black Crowned Night Heron. Gull numbers were low & so were Caspian
Tern numbers. Still had 2 Marsh Wrens singing at Waukegan.

Of some interest at Illinois Beach South were one Kestrel & one male
Kingfisher.
Andy Stewart again had the Blue Grosbeak inland but Bob E & I didn't get that.

Near Sand Pond we had one singing Yellow Throated Vireo, an adult Red
Headed Woodpecker & Swallows were 1 each Tree, Bank & Cliff with many
Barn Swallows.

Annette M told me that there had been Yellowlegs. Short Billed
Dowitchers & a Pectoral at the Manville Ponds but all that remained
when I got there were Killdeer & Spotted Sandpipers.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Least Bitterns (again) & Runner-Up to the Night Heron.
Best sighting of the day to all those Green Darner Dragonflies.

License Plate Of The Day to one from Rhode Island, my 3rd of the year.

Al Srokie
In Lake County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: