Date: 8/9/19 8:36 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Coos/Curry Birds of late
I haven’t been birding recently (it seems like months) but have seen the
following birds in passing:

While working in the hills near Brookings today (I guess one would call
this the Siskiyou Mts although I was at 2000 feet within view of beach) I
ran into some mixed flocks early AM- many BT Gray and Wilson’s Warblers I
pished in since I didn’t have my bins. Also quite a few RB Nuthatches and
Wrentits in the dense tan oak/madrone forest with patches of Doug-fir.
Neotrops are definitely starting to move. The Purple Martin numbers are
astonishing- probably many hundreds using snags in the recent (2017-2018)
burn areas east of Brookings; I could hear them all week overhead.

At Bandon Marsh on both the 17th and 19th there were many thousands of
peeps- no time to go out for closer looks. Too bad the South Coast doesn’t
get birded much anymore- I don’t have time for it much and not sure anyone
else is out there looking like on the north coast (painting house this
summer so zero time to bird). Oh well, nice to go out to empty beaches when
I do go out!

Merry fall migration,
Tim R
Coos Bay