Date: 8/9/19 5:17 pm
From: Wink Gross <winkg...>
Subject: [obol] Sauvie Island (Col.) Solitary Sandpipers, Franklin's Gull, possible YB Cuckoo
I birded the west side of Sauvie Island in Columbia County this afternoon.

At Round Lake there were 3 SOLITARY SANDPIPERS, which, needless to say,
is 2 more than expected. As the clouds gathered overhead, I think I heard the
“kdow-kdow-kdow” of a YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO calling from across the
lake over towards Mud Lake. It only called once.

I drove up to Big Eddy, parked and walked along the N side of Mud Lake back
towards Round Lake, hoping to hear the possible cuckoo again. Played the call
from my iPhone, for what that was worth. No luck. Anyway, seems like decent
habitat, and might be something to keep an ear open for.

Walking south from Big Eddy parking towards the Narrows, along the area
I call “Jay’s Shangrilah”, I saw the continuing FRANKLIN’S GULL. With
it were 3 RED-NECKED PHALAROPES. There were about 1500 peeps
out on the mud towards the middle of Sturgeon Lake--appeared to be roughly
equal numbers of Western and Least sandpipers. No larger shorebirds.

Wink Gross
PortlandPOST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!