Date: 8/9/19 11:55 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Wood Dale Reservoir Complex Friday 8-9-19
Hello Bird People,

You would think if you saw a total of 140 individual shorebirds you
would find at least 1 interesting species but that was not the case
today at the Reservoir & Western Wetlands at Wood Dale/Itasca. The
best I could do was 1 Semipalmated Plover at the Western Wetlands. I
was sure I would see at least one Stilt Sandpiper, Baird's Sandpiper
or Short Billed Dowitcher but not today.
Seems like I should have done a bit better. I was there from
6:45-10:15 a.m. Here's my lists:

Wood Dale Reservoir

D.C. Cormorant (2 & 2 fly-bys)
Great Blue Heron (2) & Great Egret (1)
Canada Goose (16) & Mallard (2)
Turkey Vulture (3 hunting)
Killdeer (53)
Lesser Yellowlegs (6)
Solitary (7) & Spotted (6) Sandpipers
Least (11), Semipalmated (3) & Pectoral (1) Sandpipers
Ring Billed Gull (Max = 31)
Caspian Tern (Max = 27)
Mourning Dove (1 on the mud flats)
Barn Swallow (6)
Red Wings

Middle Pond & Creek

Great Blue Heron (1) & Killdeer (1)

Western (Itasca) Wetlands

Great Blue Heron (2) & Great Egret (2)
Canada Goose (9) & Mallard (11)
Semipalmated Plover (1) & Killdeer (30)
Lesser Yellowlegs (5)
Solitary (2), Spotted (7) & Least (8) Sandpipers
Barn Swallow (~10)

Had the usual land birds (17 species) but only 1 species was worthy of
mentioning which
was a Ruby Throated Hummingbird.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Semipalmated Plover & Runner-Up to the Hummingbird.

License Plate Of The Day to one from New Hampshire seen on my way to
the reservoir.

Al Stokie
In DuPage County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>