Date: 8/8/19 4:34 pm
From: Steve Harvey <saharv23...>
Subject: [ia-bird] anecdotal - Hummingbirds
Normally this time of year I'm feeding 32 - 48 oz/day of nectar to
uncountable hoards of ruby-throated hummingbirds:  fledglings are
flocking the feeders and the early migrating males are competing with
them.  This year there is a paucity of the wee flitterers, and I'm
feeding less than 8 oz/day.   A near 50/50 mix of m/f. adults.

Another observation is that locally, in my adjacent oak/hickory timber,
there is a definite lack of understory.  e.g. prickly ash, buck brush
where one might expect RTHU to nest.
Comments?

Steve
rural Clarke County