Date: 8/8/19 11:26 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose-Piping Plovers & Short Billed Dowitcher Plus Air Station Prairie Thursday 8-8-19
Hello Bird People,

Got to Montrose at 5:45 a.m. to beat the traffic. Laurel R was already
on duty as a Plover Monitor. Monty & the 2 chicks were doing fine & I
was surprised at how big the chicks have become. At one point a baby
Piping Plover was right next to a Least Sandpiper & the young Plover
was actually bigger than the Least. But you can tell Monty from the
chicks by Monty's black breast band which the 2 chicks do not have.
Also, I finally got my Cook County Short Billed Dowitcher for the year
as the one from yesterday was still present feeding like crazy until
at about 8 a.m. it started calling & then took off, went very high in
the sky & headed south.

Montrose Beach (5:45-8:15 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (1 in the lake)
Great Blue Heron (1 fly-by)
Canada Goose (~80 early but all walked out on the lawns)
Mallard (14)
SHOVELER (1-F, a bit of a surprise)
Semipalmated Plover (5. together)
PIPING PLOVER (1-AD & 2 YOUNG)
Killdeer (~12)
Lesser Yellowlegs (2)
Spotted Sandpiper (3)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (5)
Least Sandpiper (7)
SHORT BILLED DOWITCHER (1)
Ring Billed (~75) & Herring (12) Gulls
Caspian Terns (only 3)
Rough Winged, Bank & Barn Swallows (no counts)
Song Sparrow (2), Red Wings (3) & House Sparrow (2)

Up by the Hedge Area I had 13 species but all were of the most common variety.

Air Station Prairie (10-10:30 a.m.)

West Pond

D.C. Cormorant (1 fly-by, far away)
Mallard (1-F with one very small young one)
VIRGINIA RAIL (2 young but full size birds)
(No Sora Rails seen today at either pond)
Killdeer (3), Solitary Sandpiper (6) & Least Sandpiper (6)
Barn Swallow (2) & Red Wings (2-IM)

East Pond

Great Blue Heron (1)
Mallard (1-F with 5 larger young)
VIRGINIA RAIL (1)
Killdeer (1)
Solitary (1), Spotted (1) & Least (5) Sandpipers

Bird-Of-The-Day to my finally seen Cook Co Short Billed Dowitcher &
Runners-Up to the 3 Piping Plovers & the female Shoveler.

Forgot to mention it but yesterday's License Plate Of The Day went to
a Wyoming plate
which was the 2nd seen this year by me.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today