Date: 8/7/19 2:11 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Only A Few Shorebirds At Waukegan & Illinois Beach South Wed 8-7-19
Hello Bird People,

Not much to report today as Andy Stewart, Annette Mc & I found no
shorebirds on Waukegan Beach but did find a few on the 2 piers. At
Illinois Beach South Andy & I only had 2 Spotted Sandpipers on the
beach plus one unknown shorebird that flew before we could I.D. it.
Later had 2 Killdeer on the lawns near State Line Beach. Very few
Gulls also at most locations as well. Did see one Kestrel & one MERLIN
at Illinois Beach. Here's my lists:

Waukegan Beach (6-7:15 a.m.)

As mentioned not one beach shorebird but on the Fisherman's &
Government Piers were 3 Spotted Sandpipers, 1 Semiplamated Sandpiper &
2 Sanderlings. The regular LEAST BITTERNS (3) & Marsh Wrens (3
singing) were by the inlet. One Coot was swimming off the Fisherman's
Pier. Gull numbers were low.

Illinois Beach South Unit (8-9:30 a.m.)

Saw the usual land birds on the way to the beach & Andy Stewart found
the singing BLUE GROSBEAK on one of the wood land trails but I did not
take that trail. Flying by on the beach were many Swallows of several
species. One Kestrel was flying somewhat inland & one MERLIN went by
very close to the beach giving a good view.

State Line Beach had no birds on the beach but had 2 Killdeer on the
lawns near there. The Manville Ponds had some shorebirds but in the
a.m. you are looking directly into the sun & all we made out were 1
Pectoral, 3 Spotted & 1 Killdeer among some unknown Peeps. Also there
were 2 young Hooded Mergs & lots of Mallards.

Andy was surprised to see the Coot in the lake & saw the Blue Grosbeak
or 2 of them.
But for me Bird-Of-The-Day goes to the Merlin with Runner-Up going to
the 3 Least Bitterns.

Al Stokie
Having a slow day in Lake County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>