Date: 8/6/19 10:43 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Shorebird Totals For July 2019
Hello Bird People,

I know I've already posted once today but I need to report the July
totals before we get to August. I also know there aren't many folks
interested in these totals but for the few that are
here are the figures.

Most of the totals were from the Chicago region with the only
exception being the one trip I made to Bureau County with Mike Madsen
& Jeff Smith. No trips to Central Illinois in July. It seemed to me
that overall numbers were lower but numbers of the big shorebirds were
high what with seeing Avocet, Willet, Whimbrel & Marbled Godwit all in
July. Here's my list:

Semipalmated Plover = 9

Piping Plover = 24 (Mostly sightings of the Montrose family group)

Killdeer = 829

AMERICAN AVOCET = 1 (Montrose)

BLACK NECKED STILT = 4 (Bureau Co)

Greater Yellowlegs = 4

Lesser Yellowlegs = 71

Solitary Sandpiper = 60

Spotted Sandpiper = 235

WILLET = 2 (Illinois Beach)

WHIMBREL = 1 (Techny Basin)

MARBLED GODWIT = 2 (Illinois Beach)

Ruddy Turnstone = 4

Sanderling = 24

Semipalmated Sandpiper = 31

Least Sandpiper = 168

Pectoral Sandpiper = 25

Stilt Sandpiper = 1

Short Billed Dowitcher = 8

Wilson's Snipe = 1

So that's 20 shorebird species & 1504 individuals sighted.
Turns out 20 species is the highest number of species I've ever had in
a July since i have kept these records. And the 1504 individual
sightings is about average for the last few years.

Here for comparison purposes are the totals for the other July lists:

2013 = 16 species & 2089 individuals

2014 = 13 species & 1254 individuals

2015 = 15 species & 1380 individuals

2016 = 18 species & 3987 individuals

2017 = 19 species & 1368 individuals

2018 = 18 species & 2757 individuals

That's it for July & I'll do another report for August which will
include some "good stuff"
seen in Central Illinois.

Al Stokie

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>