Date: 8/6/19 2:12 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chicago Botanic Garden, Techny North & Techny Basin Tuesday 8-6-19
Hello Bird People,

Following my usual routine of birding close to home after a long trip
I just went locally today.
I had 8 species of shorebirds for the day with all 8 seen at the
Botanic Garden, 6 seen at Techny North & only 3 at Techny Basin. Got
worse with every stop! Here are my lists:

Chicago Botanic Garden/Mud Flats Only (7:15-9 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (2 fly-bys)
Great Blue Heron (2)
Canada Goose (13), Wood Duck (6) & Mallard (5)
Semipalmated Plover (1) & Killdeer (27)
Lesser Yellowlegs (1)
Solitary (7), Spotted (2), Semipalmated (4), Least (9) & Pectoral (2) Sandpipers
Caspian Tern (1-AD)
Mourning Dove (2 on the mud)
Barn Swallows, Red Wings & Goldfinch

On the way back to the car I saw one female Ruby Throated Hummer &
most of the young
Purple Martins are out of the nest boxes although not all of them.

Techny North (9:15-10:15 a.m.)

Canada Goose (9), Wood Duck (18) & Mallard (42)
Semipalmated Plover (3) & Killdeer (29)
Solitary (8), Spotted (6). Semipalmated (2) & Least (16) Sandpipers
Ring Billed Gull (1)
Pigeons (12) & Mourning Doves (2)
Chimney Swift (2)
Tree & Barn Swallows

Techny Basin (10:30-11:15 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (6), Great Egret (7) & Green Heron (2 fly-bys)
Wood Duck (2) & Mallard (61)
Killdeer (5), Solitary (2) & Spotted (4) Sandpipers
Flicker, Robins, Song Sparrows, Red Wings & Goldfinches

I think Bird-Of-The-Day will be the female R.T. Hummingbird as I saw
it very well.
Runner-Up to all 4 Semipalmated Plovers.

Al Stokie
Back in Cook County today after yesterday's excitement in Central Illinois

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: