Date: 8/5/19 9:26 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET South Globe, North Globe & Goofy Ridge Monday 8-5-19
Hello Bird People,

The general rule for seeing rare birds is to do it as quickly as
possible. So when the probable
Little Stint was reported on Saturday the best move would have been to
get there on Saturday or if that wasn't possible try & do it on Sunday
the next day. After 2 days you are taking a chance.
But for those of us who waited until that 3rd not only saw the
probable Little Stint but we also got a big time bonus by seeing the
Ruff which had moved over to Goofy Ridge.

It's been a long day so I will just mention how things worked out as
others have already reported on both big time sightings. I was able to
go along with Leo Miller & John Leonard & we got there at 9 a.m. after
a 3 hour trip. Kevin Richmond had already found the Stint by 8 a.m. or
slightly earlier so that meant we didn't have to waste hours looking
for the bird. Other shorebirds seen were Black Necked Stilts, 3 Buff
Breasted Sandpipers, Stilt Sandpipers, Greater & Lesser Yellowlegs,
Least. Semiplamated & Pectoral Sandpipers, Killdeer & Semipalmated
Plovers. We stayed about 2 hours taking everything in. Really large
numbers of White Pelicans, Turkey Vultures & Tree Swallows were also
seen.

Then to the Havana Electrical Station to look for Western Kingbirds
but Kevin had warned us that all the young were out of the nest &
flying around. And sure enough neither we or Joe Lill & Jeff Sundburg
could find any. The others went to lunch but we kept looking. Found
plenty of Eastern Kingbirds but no Western's. But finally we found one
young Western Kingbird with a pale yellow wash on the breast & no
white at the tail tip.

This was followed by lunch at Hardee's where I was very disappointed
to learn that their Red Burrito section no longer had chicken tacos
which I had been looking forward to all mourning!
Had to settle for a beef burrito. But this was our only failure of the
day as while there we got 2 phone calls telling us a Ruff was at Goofy
Ridge. Off we went.

Turns out Scott Latimer had found the Ruff previously seen at The
Globes about a week ago.
Walked out there & Colin Dobson, Joe Lill & Jeff Sundburg made sure we
knew where to look.
Imagine seeing a Ruff & it's only the 2nd best bird of the day! Also
there was one Avocet & other common shorebirds.

So we may have gone late to see the Stint but see it we did plus also the Ruff.
Sometimes you delay but still get the prize. Thanks go to Kevin for
finding the Stint & Colin. Joe & Jeff for making sure we saw the Ruff.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the probable Little Stint, 2nd place to the Ruff &
3rd place to the Avocet.

License Plate Of The Day to one from Manitoba seen on a big Chevy
Suburban in Des Plaines.
on the way home.

Al Stokie
In Fulton & Mason Co's today