Date: 8/5/19 5:06 pm
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: More on white-tail juncos
Hi -

Juncos are currently undergoing their annual pre-basic molt, which replaces all their feathers over a period of several weeks.  Some of them seem to molt their inner, dark tail-feathers before their outer, white ones.  if you can get photos good enough to count feathers, you will be able to tell whether or not the "white-tailed" ones have their full complement of feathers.

Wayne
On 8/5/2019 7:54:53 PM, Harry Fuller <atowhee...> wrote:
Do we have a significant population of white-tail juncos here in NW Oregon?  These are apparently locally breeding birds, not migrants from far-off forest.
I have now heard from two other white-tail spotters in Portland Metro area.  Maybe we need a concerted white-tail census among feeder watchers on Obol?
Here's update with two other observers' comments.
https://atowhee.blog/2019/08/02/auspicious-august/ [https://atowhee.blog/2019/08/02/auspicious-august/]

--

Harry Fuller
author of: San Francisco's Natural History: Sand Dunes to Streetcars:

author of Great Gray Owls of CA-OR-WA: https://ecowise.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/the-great-gray-owl-book/ [https://ecowise.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/the-great-gray-owl-book/]
author of Freeway Birding: freewaybirding.com [http://freewaybirding.com]
birding website: http://www.towhee.net [http://www.towhee.net]
my birding blog: atowhee.wordpress.com [http://atowhee.wordpress.com]