Date: 8/5/19 4:23 pm
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Need help with this flycatcher
A quick check of the Birdfellows website shows a Pacslope in the header photo with a similar bill- yellow orange to the tip, seemingly some yellow on the upper mandible as well.Where do the tips of the folded primaries end? Well ABOVE the end of the undertail coverts, almost even with the base of those undertail coverts. This is "short" primary extension, and that eliminates Hammond's.  Dusky is famous for short projection, and it is a very standard feature on Pacslopes.Dusky would be a regular migrant at Steigerwald, but not a breeder. Sedulous investigation of brushy clearcuts 15 miles to the north or east might reveal one this time of year. They simply do not breed in our western lowlands and are scarce in all of the Oregon Coast Range spots l have ever visited. Although l have been familiar with Pacslopes for 48 years and they breed in my yard, l have only seen one as well as these photos once. Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Sam Neuffer <samneuffer...> Date: 8/5/19 3:38 PM (GMT-08:00) To: <obol...> Subject: [obol] Need help with this flycatcher Hi,I was at Steigerwald NWR yesterday and couldn't ID this flycatcher. It doesnt look dark enough on its body to be a western wood-pewee but it's bill doesnt seem dark enough to be a dusky flycatcher.  It also bobbed its tail like a kestrel so I'm not sure if that is typical behavior for Hammond's which is also another possibility. Any help would be appreciated!https://m.facebook.com/groups/791856010863127?view=permalink&id=2312159612166085&sfnsn=moSam

Join us on Facebook!