Date: 8/4/19 8:15 pm
From: erik.d.ostrander <erik.d.ostrander...>
Subject: [obol] Cannon Beach bird walk
This morning we had the monthly Cannon Beach bird walk. The weather was fantastic, clear skies, no wind and warm. This month we had 6 participants to enjoy the local and migrating birds at the settling ponds. To start off we had some awesome looks at the nesting Purple Martins, the females are lingering around the nest box and appeared to possibly be bringing food into the nest holes. I didn't see any insects in their beaks in real time but after reviewing some blurry photos I could see something small and food-like there. We made our way around the ponds and ran into a pretty cool surprise, a Red-necked Phalarope!  The juvenile bird was our first sign of migrating shorebirds for the season. I'm really excited to find some more migrants in the coming weeks and months. A quick flyover of 2 Greater Yellowlegs was a welcome surprise before I had to get back to work. We did not see or hear any flycatchers. I guess they may have already headed out for the season. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'll find a couple more before the season is all over. In total, before I left, we had 24 species on the walk, a good number considering the gigantic number of Cedar Waxwings we saw the entire walk. My ebird checklist can be found at: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58740844The monthly Cannon Beach bird walk is held on the first Sunday of every month at 9:00am meet at the settling ponds parking lot and we welcome anyone who would like to come!On another note, on our latest episode of Hannah and Erik Go Birding, we participated in the Marbled Murrelet survey at Cape Perpetua.  It was a great time and extremely educational. Check it out at: www.gobirdingpodcast.com. Thank you,Erik Ostrander(503) <621-6170Erik.d.ostrander...>: Hannah and Erik Go Birding

Join us on Facebook!