Date: 8/3/19 9:49 pm
From: Ben S <benrmnp...>
Subject: [cobirds] Mexican Ducks? (or hybrids?) South Platte Park, Arapahoe County
Hi all,
A Red Crossbill was definitely a highlight on a breeding bird count at
Northern Wildlife Area. In addition, I found three Mallard-type ducks that
I am fairly sure are Mexican Ducks, or, at least, Mallard/Mexican Duck
hybrids. I saw dark fledglings several weeks ago in the same area, which I
thought looked like possible Mexican Duck hybrids, so I think these three
are the same, a family group. The bird I think is the most likely candidate
for a pure Mexican Duck is a male. All three are undeniably dark for
Mallards (I understand the fact Mallards currently being in eclipse plumage
makes IDs such as this even more difficult). The male in question even has
a brown tail. However, two females have pale tails so are more likely
hybrids. I included some photos of the three birds. Any feedback is much
appreciated!

[image: IMG_0193 - Edited.jpg]

[image: IMG_0204 - Edited.jpg]

[image: IMG_0202 - Edited.jpg]

Male (possible pure) individual. Note Brown tail.

[image: IMG_0189 - Edited.jpg]

[image: IMG_0186 - Edited.jpg]

One of two female (likely hybrid) individuals. Note light
tail

Ben Sampson
Centennial, CO