Date: 8/3/19 1:19 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan, Illinois Beach South & North Units Saturday 8-3-19
Hello Bird People,

Not much of interest today except for at Waukegan. I think I'll do a
full list from Waukegan & then just highlights for elsewhere. Bob
Erickson was with at all 3 locations.

Waukegan Beach (5:50-7:10 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (49)
LEAST BITTERN (At least 3)
Great Blue Heron (1 fly-by)
Black Crowned Night Heron (1-IM but Bob saw several as he was present
earlier than I was)
Canada Goose (86) & Mallard (3)
Killdeer (2), Lesser Yellowlegs (1), Spotted (4) & Semipalmated (2) Sandpipers
Ring Billed (~150) & Herring (~20) Gulls
Caspian Tern (4)
Kingfisher (1-M)
Tree (1), Bank (6), Cliff (1) & Barn (12) Swallows
Marsh Wren (4 singing, 2 seen)

Bob also saw the AMERICAN BITTERN twice as it flew around the area
around 5:30 a.m.

Illinois Beach South Unit (7:30-9:30 a.m.)

Andy Stewart & Steve M saw 2 Semipalmated Plovers by the mouth of the
Dead River but when we were about 50 yards away 2 park trucks zipped
by heading for the far south near Greenwood. So much for seeing
anything in that area.

In some trees along the main road were Great Blues (2), a Great Egret
(1) & earlier 2 Green Herons. The only shorebirds were Killdeer (2) &
Spotted Sandpiper (2). The highlight here were 2 SANDHILL CRANES
walking along the beach until the workers rushed by. Had 22 species of
land birds including Eastern Kingbirds, Cedar Waxwings, Eastern
Bluebirds & Baltimore Orioles (3).

Illinois Beach North Unit/Sand Pond Area (9:45-10:45 a.m.)

The only highlights here were 2 Purple Martins in with the Swallows &
1 adult Red Headed Woodpecker near Sand Pond.

Bird-Of-The-Day for Bob E is the American Bittern
Bird-Of-The-Day for me will be the 2 beach walking Sandhill Cranes.
Runners-Up to all the Least Bitterns & the Red Headed Woodpecker.

License Plate Of The Day to one from Utah seen in Morton Grove on the way home.

Al Stokie
In Lake County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: