Date: 8/1/19 12:25 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Wood Dale Reservoir Complex Thursday 8-1-19
Hello Bird People & Welcome To August,

August is the peak month for numbers of shorebirds but I guess the
shorebirds didn't get that memo as today's shorebirds were only of the
most common variety. But August is a long month so we should many more
chances to see them. Only had 6 species of shorebirds as opposed to 9
yesterday in Lake County. Today I was joined by former co-worker Al
Wege & Luis Munoz who is now a DuPage County resident. Luis works much
harder with the land birds than I do & an example of this is that
today he found a Prothonotary Warbler which I did not see. Here's my
day list:

Wood Dale Reservoir Complex (6:45-10:15 a,m,)

Reservoir

D.C. Cormorant (4-5)
Great Blue Heron (3) & Great Egret (2)
BLACK CROWNED NIGHT HERON (2 adult fly-bys)
Canada Goose (34) & Mallard (12)
Killdeer (28) & Spotted Sandpiper (3)
Solitary (2), Semipalmated (3), Least (8) & Pectoral (1) Sandpipers
Ring Billed Gull (Max = 51)
Caspian Tern (19-AD & 1-IM)
Tree (2) & Rough Winged (4) Swallows

Middle Pond

Finally saw something here but only one Great Blue Heron & one Mallard

Western (Itasca) Wetlands

Great Blue Heron (1) & Great Egret (1)
Mallard (7)
Killdeer (27) & Spotted Sandpiper (6)
Solitary (5), Semipalmated (2) & Least (4) Sandpipers
Mourning Dove (2 on the mud flats)
Barn Swallow (4)

Land Birds

I saw 25 species today including 2 Red Tailed Hawks, 1 Kestrel & 3
Chimney Swifts.
Still singing were Warbling Vireo (only 1 singing), Common
Yellowthroat, Yellow Warbler &
Song Sparrow although all singers are singing less than they had been.
Of some interest were a silent Willow Flycatcher, young Cedar Waxwings
& 5 Crows which are not that common here.

Best bird here today was Luis's Prothonotary Warbler but as I didn't
see that one then
Bird-Of-The-Day for me will be the 2 adult Black Crowned Night Herons
& Runner-Up to
the flying Kestrel.

Al Stokie
In DuPage County today