Date: 8/1/19 7:43 am
From: Roy Lowe <roy.loweiii...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Common Murre Jumplings
Your misidentification happens all the time Bob. Last summer I received a report of dead marbled murrelets on Agate Beach. Without question I passed the report on the the MAMU team and they immediately went out to collect the specimens but all that was there were murre jumplings. Back in the 70’s a visiting prof from California picked up Craver’s murrelet carcass from an Oregon beach. While writing up his finding for a journal someone kindly pointed out that it was not a murrelet.

Roy

> On Aug 1, 2019, at 7:16 AM, Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:
>
> After recently moving to Oregon, I was birding at the south jetty of the columbia river in the early 1970's at this time of year and spotted an Ancient Murrelet far offshore. Later i ran into Jeff Gilligan and proudly told him of the my sighting. It was with a Common Murre I said. I'll leave the reader to guess the rest of the story.
> Bob obrien carver or
>

> On Wednesday, July 31, 2019, Roy Lowe <roy.loweiii...> wrote:
> > Common Murres chicks, called jumplings, were leaping off of Colony Rock at Yaquina Head today in numbers. It's really cool to see these three-week old balls of fluff leaping from high on the rock and flutter down to the water. That's if everything goes according to plan which isn't always the case. One was swallowed whole by a western gull, and another was killed by a gull then stolen by a bald eagle. An HY peregrine falcon was perched on the rocks trying to figure out how it could grab a jumpling and several apparently crashed and burned on the rocks. If you want to check it out I would recommend doing it in the next few days while there are still substantial numbers of murres on the rock. A few pics of one leaping event are attached.
> > Roy
> > </mail/u/0/s/?view=att&th=16c4b470e7b33c12&attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=ii_jys4tc2b0&zw&atsh=1>
> > </mail/u/0/s/?view=att&th=16c4b470e7b33c12&attid=0.4&disp=emb&realattid=ii_jys4ugba4&zw&atsh=1>
> > </mail/u/0/s/?view=att&th=16c4b470e7b33c12&attid=0.2&disp=emb&realattid=ii_jys4trhj2&zw&atsh=1>
> > </mail/u/0/s/?view=att&th=16c4b470e7b33c12&attid=0.3&disp=emb&realattid=ii_jys4tyx23&zw&atsh=1>

Join us on Facebook!