Date: 8/1/19 6:43 am
From: John Cebula <joceb2005...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Re: Walter's Bobwhites
Several years ago I had a female Bobwhite at my feeders for two days (many years ago, another birder and I heard Bobwhite calling from Herrick Lake Forest Preserve). Another local birder who lives just a few blocks from me saw a quail, probably the same bird, in his yard a few days earlier.

I checked with the DuPage Forest Preserve, the DNR, and USFWS. I learned that there are no licensed or registered quail breeders in the county, and that dog training with quail is illegal on district land. And for anyone not familiar with DuPage County, especially Glen Ellyn, let me assure you there is not much open space that is not district-owned. So how the quail landed among my juncos and House Sparrows is a mystery.

I was interested in learning that quail are used to train dogs in Kane County. If that is where my bird came from, it is an impressive translocation!

John Cebula (DuPage)

Join us on Facebook!