Date: 7/31/19 7:45 pm
From: <gp_arts39...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET August DuPage Birding Club Field Trips
Please note: Last-minute changes are posted on dupagebirding.org/field-trips.

Now is the time for birds to nest, raise their young, molt feathers, and prepare for the fall migration. There are opportunities for all types of birders to participate and enjoy the season. Participants, please remember that the weather and trail conditions can be variable. Many times biting insects are present and temperatures are high. Please dress accordingly and bring insect repellent and water. We expect everyone to enjoy birding in a safe manner.

Saturday, August 10, 7:30 am
St. James Farm Forest Preserve, Warrenville
The monthly Cantigny walk is migrating to adjacent St. James Farm due to park construction. Like Cantigny, St. James was once a McCormick family property. Please bear in mind that Cantigny walks are often attended by 25 or more birders! Meet in the main parking lot of St. James. Enter off Winfield Rd., just north of Butterfield.
Leader: Jeff Reiter, <jreiter...> mailto:<jreiter...>

Sunday, August 11, 7:00 am
Salt Creek Woods Nature Preserve, Westchester
This can be a very birdy site! Uncommon target birds include: Pileated Woodpecker, Orchard Oriole and Wood Thrush. The walk is mainly on dirt and grass trails and there will also be paved portions. Wear protective clothing and boots for weather and ticks. We will meet at the parking off Brainard Ave. south of 31st Street.
Leader: Alan Seely-James, 954-708-4804, <alan_seelyejames...> mailto:<alan_seelyejames...>
[Note the underscore between the first and last name in the email].

Friday, August 16, 6:00 pm
Know Your Neighborhood: Wood Dale/Itasca
The seventh of twelve ‘Know Your Neighborhood’ trips, exploring hidden gems, odd and under-birded hot spots in DuPage County, we will explore Salt Creek Marsh and the Wood Dale Reservoir, looking for shorebird species. Meet at the parking lot at the end of School St. off of Wood Dale Rd. between Thorndale and Irving Park Rd. We will be walking on paved trails. Be sure to bring a spotting scope if you have one.
Leader: Glenn Perricone, 630-687-2921, <gp_arts39...> mailto:<gp_arts39...>

Sunday, August 18, 7:30 am
Birding and Breakfast! Hidden Lake Forest Preserve
Join us for the return of one of DBC’s fun traditions, Birding and Breakfast. We will begin at 7:30 am with a walk through the woods and around the lake. Then at 9:00 am, breakfast will be served in the picnic shelter. The club will provide bananas, bagels, donuts, juice and coffee. Come for the walk and breakfast or just join us for the breakfast; all are welcome. It is a great opportunity to socialize and get to know your fellow birders. (If you’re a cook and would like to bring something to share, feel free to do so.)
Hidden Lake is located at the southeast corner of HWY 56 (Butterfield Rd.) and HWY 53, just north of the Morton Arboretum. The entrance is on the east side of HWY 53, less than a 1/4 mile south of Butterfield Rd. across the street from the Walmart. Meet in the parking lot near the shelter.
Leader: Natalie McFaul, <natcatcher7...> mailto:<natcatcher7...>

Friday, August 23, 7:30 am
Morton Arboretum, Lisle
This time of year you never know what you may find at the Arboretum. Let’s meet at parking lot #13 on the east side. Parking lot #13 is across the main road from Big Rock. The Arboretum is located just north of I-88 off Rte. 53 in Lisle. The Arboretum has a per person charge for non-members. Note: the Arboretum does not open its gates until 7:00 am.
Leaders: Marcia & Lee Nye, 630-605-6374, <mnye...> mailto:<mnye...>

Sunday, August 25, 6:00 am
Momence Sod Farms and Nearby Sites, Kankakee County
The sod farms outside of Momence are a stopping point for shorebird species such as American Golden, Black-bellied, and Buff-breasted Plovers during migration. We will check these fields and other surrounding agricultural fields (Western Meadowlark, Vesper Sparrow, etc.) and possibly the nearby Pembroke area.
Spotting scopes would be useful. Bring plenty of snacks and drinks. We will stop for lunch in Momence. Pre-registration required by August 24.
Please pre-register with Jeff, who will then give you meeting and carpool information.
Leader: Jeff Smith, Cell: 331-481-3362, <mrqmagoo13...> mailto:<mrqmagoo13...>

Saturday, August 31, 7:00 am
McKee Marsh, Warrenville
Join another morning walk to the marsh. We may focus on the Bobolink Trail to look for the nesting Red-headed Woodpeckers, as well as (we hope) early migrating shorebirds and nesting birds. Bring a spotting scope if you have one. Meet at the visitor parking lot on the north side of Mack Rd., located between Winfield Rd. and Rt. 59 in Warrenville. Most of our walk will be on Preserve limestone and earthen trails; wear appropriate shoes and clothing.
Leaders: Kathy and Steve Mineck, Cell, day of: 630-254-4077, <kmineck...> mailto:<kmineck...>

For additional birding opportunities check out the Illinois Birding Calendar at:
http://www.illinoisbirds.org/calendar-2/

Call us if you have questions about the trips or if you would like to lead a trip. Leaders do not have to be
birding experts, just familiar with the location. There is no need to register for trips unless otherwise
indicated. Visitors are always welcome. We do not charge fees for birding trips. Field trip information is
also found at: www.dupagebirding.org http://www.dupagebirding.org

Join us on Facebook!