Date: 7/31/19 11:01 am
From: <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] Re: American or Eurasian Three-toed Woodpeckers -- how can we be sure?
Hi Nagi,

Sorry, I was being facetious, but that might not have been fully clear.

To my knowledge, the Eurasian and American species of 3-toed Woodpecker are practically indistinguishable based on plumage. The split between species is based on genetic differences is based on genetic work by Robert M. Zink and coauthors, "Trans-Beringia comparisons of mitochondrial DNA differentiation in birds," published in The Condor , vol. 97 p. 639-649. The same paper also contributed to the split between our (North American) Black-billed Magpie and their Eurasian counterparts, and Wilson's vs. (Eurasian) Common Snipe.

My aim in this posting was to illustrate how often we rely on range maps in our identifications.

Congrats on seeing your lifer American Three-Toed Woodpecker! I still haven't managed to see their Eurasian counterpart despite all of my time in Sweden & Finland.

Best,
Joel