Date: 7/31/19 8:43 am
From: <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] American or Eurasian Three-toed Woodpeckers -- how can we be sure?
Here's another issue that I'd bet few Oregon birders have thought about:

How sure are we that the Three-toed Woodpeckers in the Oregon Cascades are American and not Eurasian Three-toed Woodpeckers? Is anyone checking field marks?

I mean sure, there was a scientific paper with genetic work to establish the split. But those specimens were at least a decade or two old. Is there any contemporary evidence?

I look forward to reading the arguments when the next OBOL digest lands in my inbox. Meanwhile, I'll go back to working on the project deadlines that Big Al summoned me forth from.

(And yes, this is meant to be ad absurdum).

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of the putative Blue-gray/California Gnatcatcher hybridization zone

Join us on Facebook!