Date: 7/30/19 8:03 pm
From: Jeanne Hedges <onespayiowa...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Goose Lake and Green Island
I won't list all the things we saw this time. The highlights were a rusty
blackbird at Goose Lake along the access road back to the boat ramp and at
Green Island we saw several common gallinules, one with a baby, a pair of
trumpeter swans and several sandhills. Perhaps the most fun, though
obviously not rare, were quite a few pied billed grebe babies. They are
pretty adorable. Watched one baby gobble down a fish Dad caught that was
about half as big as the baby. I assumed it was Dad because he caught the
fish and was fiddling around with it too long so the other adult who was
watching the kids (presumably Mom) came over and grabbed it away from him
and fed it immediately to the baby. "Don't mess around, Dad, just feed the
kid!"

Jeanne
Buffalo, IA