Date: 7/30/19 2:49 pm
From: Walter Marcisz <wmarcisz...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Northern Bobwhite back at Eggers Grove, Chicago (7-30-19)
I heard a NORTHERN BOBWHITE give its clear "Bob-white" call ten times in succession from the Burnham Greenway bike path south of Eggers Grove this afternoon (Tuesday, 30 July 2019). This is the exact same location where this species has been heard, seen & photographed previously, but it's been a couple years since it has been reported there. My last personal record was on 8 July 2017 (Andrew Aldrich photographed it the previous day, 7/7/17). Eggers Grove is located in southeast Chicago close to the state line. The wooded portion of Eggers extends from 112th Street to 118th Street, and the Burnham Greenway Bicycle Trail runs along the entire west edge of the woods, then continues south toward Wolf Lake. I heard the Bobwhite calling from the Burnham Greenway about 1 block south of where the wooded area ends at 118th Street (slag flats). There is a big green forest preserve trash can at the spot where I heard it calling. It started calling (without prompting) at 3:03 pm and stopped calling by 3:05 pm. I have no idea why it started & stopped calling when it did, or why it hasn't been reported for a couple years at this heavily birded location.
Walter MarciszChicago, Cook Co.

Join us on Facebook!