Date: 7/30/19 12:20 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose Beach Plover Monitoring & Chicago Botanic Garden Tuesday 7-30-19
Hello Bird People,

Montrose Beach (5:45-8:45 a.m.)

Took a turn with Michael Ferguson as Piping Plover monitors between 6
& 8 a.m. today, Tuesday.
The 2 chicks continue alive & well & feeding almost constantly. Monty
remains close to the chicks to supervise things. I had heard that Rose
had left but she was back today although at some distance from the
rest of the family. Other beach birds here today included:

D.C. Cormorant (a few fly-bys)
Great Blue Heron (1, we watched it closely but it did not approach the Plovers)
Canada Goose (19)
Mallard (14)
HOODED MERGANSER (1 young one, continuing)
Semipalmated Plover (2)
PIPING PLOVER (Monty & Rose & 2 chicks)
Killdeer (12)
Lesser Yellowlegs (2)
Solitary Sandpiper (1)
Spotted Sandpiper (4)
Least Sandpiper (4)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (2)
Ring Billed (~150) & Herring (2) Gulls
BONAPARTE'S GULL (1-AD with an all black head)
Caspian Tern (7-8)
Bank & Barn Swallows
Red Wings (2)

Chicago Botanic Garden (9:45-11 a.m.) (Only covered the mud flat area
by RT68/Dundee Rd)

D.C. Cormorant (2)
Green Heron (1)
Canada Goose (8)
(Surprisingly no Mallards were seen)
BALD EAGLE (2-AD flew in together & 1 landed for good scope views for
about 12 people)
Killdeer (19)
Lesser Yellowlegs (1)
Solitary Sandpiper (5)
Spotted Sandpiper (3)
Least Sandpiper (13)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (1)
Pectoral Sandpiper (3)
Barn Swallow (~10)

Bird-Of-The-Day to the visiting Bald Eagles which are probably the
nesting pair from Skokie Lagoons. The young from that nest should be
flying soon if they made it.
Runners-Up to the adult Bonaparte's Gull & of course the Piping Plovers.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: