Date: 7/28/19 1:49 pm
From: Noah Strycker <noah.strycker...>
Subject: [obol] Lane/Klamath mountains 7/20-27
Hi birders,

My mom and I backpacked 120 miles this week in the Willamette Pass area
(mostly in the Diamond Peak Wilderness and along the Pacific Crest Trail),
with a few birds among the mosquitos:

Of note to Lane Co. listers, a female WILLIAMSON'S SAPSUCKER was along the
PCT north of the Willamette Pass Ski Area on 7/26, near the Nordic Ski
Shelter. A stone's throw into Klamath County, a pair of THREE-TOED
WOODPECKERS was north of Rosary Lakes on 7/24, and we had another
THREE-TOED near Hidden Lake along the PCT (in Klamath Co. south of Hwy 58)
on 7/20. We bumped into a couple of Klamath Co. BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKERS,
too: one near Summit Lake on 7/22 and another along the Oregon Skyline
Trail southwest of Odell Lake on 7/27.

A GRAY-CROWNED ROSY-FINCH was at the summit of Diamond Peak on 7/23, a few
yards toward the Klamath Co. side, and a CASSIN'S FINCH was just in Lane
County on the peak's northern flank that morning. We flushed a couple of
Klamath Co. SOOTY GROUSE along the PCT east of Diamond Peak on 7/20 and
7/22.

PINE SISKINS and RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES were easily the most abundant
birds all week.

I can recommend wearing a bright red hat in the woods. Hummingbirds buzzed
my head several times a day, including one persistent Rufous Hummer that
probed my hat so long I finally scared it off by laughing. Maybe it was
curious about the hat's logo: "Fly Emirates."

Good birding,
Noah

Join us on Facebook!